Civil unit

The Civil Support Unit provides administrative support to a number of divisions and units at the Multnomah County Sheriff’s Office. The unit responds to all legal processes including court orders, small claims, divorce papers, subpoenas, child support and custody and restraining orders. Civil deputies and civilian support staff ensure documents are processed in timely manner and accurately recorded.

The Law Enforcement Records Unit plays an integral part in the success of the Law Enforcement Division. Law Enforcement Records operates 24/7, and receives, processes and maintains law enforcement, warrant and protective order records for Multnomah County. The unit provides police reports generated by the Detective and Patrol divisions to the public through the public records request process. Additionally, the unit provides vehicle releases for vehicles that have been towed or impounded at the request of MCSO Law Enforcement.

The Concealed Handgun Unit administers and manages all aspects of applying for and the issuance of concealed carry licenses. The Unit is responsible for investigating applicants and issuing concealed handgun licenses to those who meet the legal standards set by Oregon Revised Statutes. The Unit monitors existing licenses and, when necessary, revokes licenses for reasons consistent with the law.

The Concealed Handgun Unit processes renewal notifications on a monthly basis and responds to questions from the public regarding the application process and other concealed carry related issues. A secondary function of the Concealed Handgun Unit is the issuance of Expedited Court Access ID cards. These ID Cards are issued as a courtesy to people who regularly need access to the Multnomah County Courthouse for their employment.

Frequently Asked Questions

How do I apply for or check on Restraining, Stalking or Extreme Risk Protection Orders?

Protective order applications are available at the Multnomah County Courthouse located at 1021 SW 4th, Room 211, Portland, OR 97204, Monday through Friday, from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Additional information about the available types of protective orders and how to obtain them can be found here:

return to top

How do I evict a tenant?

Eviction is a court process where a landlord must sue the tenant for possession of the premises. The Sheriff serves legal papers, and if the tenant does not comply with the court's orders, physically evicts the tenant. More information may be found at the Oregon State Bar.

return to top

How do I have a defendant served papers?

To have the Civil Process Unit serve papers, send the following items to our office:

  • Instructions for service - Must include address located in Multnomah County where service can be made* and your address to provide a copy of the court return.
  • Documents for service**
  • Fee for service - we accept cash (exact change), business check or money order made payable to the Multnomah County Sheriff's Office.

Mail/Deliver items to our office at the following address:

Multnomah County Sheriff's Office
Attention: Civil Process Unit
4735 E Burnside St
Portland, OR 97215

* Unfortunately, we cannot assist you by serving letters and sealed envelopes, and are unable to determine location information for defendants you are attempting to have served but don't have an address for.

** The Sheriff serves legal papers that have been filed with a court of law or issued by a governmental administrative agency.

return to top

How do I check to see if my civil papers have been served?

You can check the status of civil papers being served by MCSO by visiting the Civil Case Status website.

return to top

How do I collect a judgement when the debtor won't pay?

The court can issue a Writ of Garnishment or a Writ of Execution as methods of seizing property. A Writ of Garnishment directs a third party to turn over property or money that's in their possession. A Writ of Execution directs the Sheriff to seize property that's in the possession of the debtor. It's the creditor's responsibility to determine who has property of the debtor and which legal mechanism to use.

return to top

How do I get my child returned from an unwilling parent?

The court can issue an order for the Sheriff to take custody of the child, returning him or her to the custodial parent. This is generally accomplished through the restraining order process, or through an Order of Assistance which can be obtained with the aid of Multnomah County Family Law located in room 211 at the Downtown Multnomah County Courthouse.

return to top

What are the fees for civil process?

Fees for Civil Process (ORS 21.300) depend on the particular service required as outlined below. The Sheriff’s Office can only accept EXACT cash, money orders, cashier’s checks, or checks written on a business account. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact us at (503) 988-0512, or visiting us directly at 4735 E Burnside St, Portland, OR 97215.

      Rates Effective July 1st, 2021

Summons and complaint with or without attachments, small claims notices, eviction summons and complaint, notice of restitution, citation, subpoena, orders to show cause, posting sales notices, etc...

1 - 2 Parties
(same address)



3 Parties
(same address)



4 Parties
(same address)



5 Parties
(same address)



Additional Parties
(same address)

+ $25






Please note that 'et all' or 'All Other Occupants' is a party to be served.


$80 plus fees outlined under 'NOTICE PROCESS' above


Property Seizure, Writ of Assistance, Writ of Execution for property recovery, or Order of Claim and Delivery





Real Property



Personal Property



Sheriff's Deed




Restraining orders, stalking orders, child recovery


No Charge


per document





return to top

How is service of civil subpoenas for trial or depositions directed to MCSO Deputies in their professional capacity?

*Due to COVID-19, public offices are closed. Please call or email.

Service is to be made upon the designated Court Coordinator along with any witness fees as required by ORS 44.415. The Court Coordinator for the Multnomah County Sheriff’s Office Law Enforcement Division is located at 4735 E Burnside, Portland, OR 97215 and is open to the public Monday to Friday from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. The contact number is (503) 988-0523 or email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
The Court Coordinator for the Multnomah County Sheriff’s Office Corrections Division is located at 501 SE Hawthorne, Suite 350, Portland OR 97201, and is open to the public Monday to Friday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. The contact number is (503) 988-8429 or email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

return to top

How do I get my towed vehicle back?

Criteria for retrieving a vehicle towed by the Multnomah County Sheriff's Office are listed below. If you have additional questions, please call the Records Unit at (503) 988-7300.

  • All towing and storage charges are the responsibility of the owner and must be paid before the vehicle will be released.
  • Vehicles will not be released without a written form issued by the Records Unit located at 234 SW Kendall Ct., Troutdale.
  • There is a $125 processing fee which must be fully paid with credit card or exact cash.
  • Proof of insurance is required if the driver of the vehicle was cited for "no insurance.”
  • If you are not the registered owner of the vehicle, you must provide documentation that proves you have a legal right to the vehicle.

return to top


Multnomah County Sheriff's Office
4735 E Burnside St.
Portland, OR 97215

Civil Process Unit: 503-988-0512

Concealed Handgun Licensing: 503-988-0517

Court Access Passes: 503-988-0517

Multnomah County Alarms: 503-988-0511

OLCC Permit/ATF Applications: 503-988-0520


return to top